About Naturopathic Doctors
NDs are trained in the same basic sciences as a MDs but also study holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy, with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness. I focus treatment on optimizing the body’s own ability to heal.
To find the underlying cause of disease, I take a detailed history. In addition, I use an array of standard and progressive tests including:
- Standard lab values
- Diagnostic imaging including ultra sounds, x-rays etc.
- Comprehensive stool analysis
- Adrenal fatigue 24-hour testing
- Urine hormone metabolites
- Provoked heavy metal urine testing
- Nutritional blood analysis
- Food sensitivity panels
Treatments are tailored to resolving the root cause, not just the symptoms. Treatments may include:
- Clinical Nutrition: customized diet and supplementation
- Hydrotherapy: traditional nature cure using water
- Homeopathic Medicine: both acute and constitutional cases
- Botanical Medicine: using western and Chinese herbs
- Naturopathic Manipulation Therapy: spinal alignment
- Counseling: to encourage you in making long lasting healthy changes
- Pharmacology: limited pharmaceuticals if they are the best choice
- Annual Wellness Exams
Naturopathic Doctors earn a doctorate in naturopathic medicine from a four year graduate level medical college. Requirements for admission are comparable to those of conventional medical schools. The ND degree includes training in: pathology, biochemistry, immunology, nutrition, neurology, gynecology, cardiology, pediatrics, pharmacology, minor surgery, naturopathic obstetrics, counseling, oncology, diagnostic imaging and clinical and laboratory diagnosis. Treatment modalities include those listed above.
Prior to practicing, graduates must pass a national licensing board exam and then are subject to state requirements for licensing. I am licensed as a Naturopathic doctor in the state of Maine.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that combines modern medicine with the art and tradition of natural practices to diagnose, treat and prevent illness. Treatments are geared to each individual patient and are naturally based. Naturopathic doctors use the following principles to help guide their treatments.
1. The Healing Power of Nature (vis Medicatrix Naturae)
2. Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causum)
3. First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)
4. Doctor as Teacher (Docere)
5. Treat the Whole Person (Tolle Totum)
6. Prevention as the Best Medicine